Choose to do a S’mores Cake for delicious Birthday celebration like I did for my friend Michelle! We do a lot of camping together and we love to cosy up around toasted marshmallows in the colder west coast evenings, so I thought that was the perfect treat. Bonus, she loves the S’mores Cupcake that I baked previously using Cupcake Jemma recipe, so I adapted the recipe to my own and the cake is composed of a buttery biscuit base, fudge brownie and marshmallow meringue icing with a drizzle of melter chocolate ! Yum
It will be doubler layer if you are using a 6inch pan.
- For the Buttery Biscuite Base:
- 200gr Digestive biscuit, finely crushed.
- 60gr Melted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Corn Syrup.
- For the Fudge Brownie:
- 1/2 cup Melted Butter.
- 1 1/8 cup Sugar.
- 2 large Eggs.
- 1/2 cup Flour.
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Powder.
- 1/4 tsp Salt.
- For the Marshmallow Meringue Icing:
- 2 Egg Whites.
- 175gr (or a little less than 1 cup) Sugar.
- 5 tbsp Corn Syrup.
- 2 tbsp Water.
- 1/4 tsp Salt.
- 1/4 tsp Cream of Tarter (if you don’t have any it can be substituted by white vinegar)
- Pinch of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven at 350F/175C.
- Line two 6 inch pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Make the buttery biscuit base:
- Crush the digestive biscuit in a blender or food processor.
- Put it in bowl, add the melted butter and the corn syrup and stir until well incorporated.
- Distribute around 1 to 1 1/2 cup of the base in each pan (depending on how thick you want that layer to be, I like it a little thicker; you might have some leftover biscuit base).
- Distribute evenly and with the bottom of the cup apply pressure to the butter biscuit base so it is flat and packed.
- Set aside.
- Make the brownie batter :
- Combine the melted butter, oil and sugar and whisk for a minute.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat the mixture for another 2 minutes.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, flour and salt.
- Fold gently (do not over mix it!).
- Divide the batter in two and pour on the 6 inch pan on top of the buttery biscuit base.
- Bake for about 20 mins (it’s fudge brownie so if you insert a toothpick it will come out with doe on it).
- Let it cool completely before removing from pan.
- Make the Marshmallow Meringue Icing
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl over a double boiler with simmering water.
- Whisk for 10 minutes continuously, it will become white and fluffy and thick.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for another 3-4 minutes.
- Try not to eat it all at once ! Let it cool down completely before assembling the cake.
- Assembling the cake:
- Take one cake and pipe in a circle the marshmallow meringue icing then add some melted chocolate (if you want).
- Take the second cake and lay it on top and cover it with a layer of marshmallow meringue icing.
- Add a piped layer in a shape you want, I personally did just little meringue shapes.
- With your blow torch, caramelize the marshmallow icing and then add strings of melted chocolate (using a piping bag, or a fork or a spoon).
… Enjoy !